ROS 2 TSC Contribution Report 2022-02-17.pdf (124.1 KB)
- Open Robotics – Kat Scott, Tully Foote, Chris Lalancette, Geoff Biggs
- Canonical - Jeremie Deray | artivis
- Community representative – Olivier Michel
- Bosch - Ralph Lange
- Toyota Research Institute - Calder Phillips-Grafflin
- Wind River - Andrei Kholodnyi
- ROBOTIS - Will Son
- eProsima - Jaime Martin Losa
- Apex.AI - Lyle Johnson
- Sony - Tomoya Fujita
- iRobot - Alberto Soragna
- SwRI - Jerry Towler (representing GVSC)
- Microsoft - Lou Amadio
- Foxglove - Adrian Macneil
- [Kat ][1 min] Please remember to fill out your contribution report at the bottom of this document prior to the meeting.
- [Kat][2 min] Welcome Foxglove to the ROS 2 TSC
- [Kat][1 min] We have open time if anyone would like to propose a topic.
- [Angelo Cosaro][5 min] Announcement from ADLINK ⇒ Zettascale
- Creating a new company, Zettascale, just for ADLink’s software division. Announcement soon. Will take over
- [Kat][5 min] 2021 Metrics Report
- [Lange][20 min] License documentation in ROS
- Alberto – Similar problems for iRobot. Commercial (BlackDuck) tools don’t play well with ROS 2. More problems working from source vs installation. No consistency in license / copyright locations.
- Ralph will issue a PR.
- Chris – Propose and update to the REP that defines package.xml
- How to manage two license files? This needs to be in a REP.
- Andrei – Are you scanning deps?
- Ralph: yes, depends on referenced files.
- Introduction to license and snippet analysis and examples of findings in ROS.
- Good news: No severe findings found in ROS 2 core packages (w/o tools) by Bosch-internal license and snippet analysis
- Bad news: Process is very time consuming and error prone because of insufficient license documentation
- Information by LICENSE file and package.xml is too unspecific
- Lack of license information in Debian packages
- Introduce machine readable debian/copyright files
- Use SPDX identifiers in package.xml, etc.
- Improve tooling, to check consistency and ideally also completeness
- Next ROS 2 distro release
- Transition to Jammy (Ubuntu 22.04)
- Taking longer than expected
- Now have binary packages building up to rviz2: Rbin_uJ64__rviz2__ubuntu_jammy_amd64__binary [Jenkins]
- Also switched CI on https://ci.ros2.org over to Jammy by default
- Supporting Humble on Focal (Ubuntu 20.04)
- Added Focal as a Tier 3 platform: Add Focal as a tier 3 platform for Humble by audrow · Pull Request #342 · ros-infrastructure/rep · GitHub
- Community-supported, source-only build
- Calder: there is a period for where the LTS is not stable, need a stable transistion
- Upcoming release/freeze dates from ROS 2 Humble Hawksbill (codename ‘humble’; May, 2022) — ROS 2 Documentation: Rolling documentation
- March 21 - RMW freeze - only bugfixes for RMWs (rmw_fastrtps, rmw_cyclonedds, rmw_connextdds) accepted after this date
- April 4 - General feature freeze - only bugfixes across the entire ROS 2 base accepted after this date
- April 18 - Branch Humble from Rolling
- Roadmap items
- Zenoh report getting close to completion - will do a formal presentation on this during March TSC meeting
- Overlay fixes nearing completion
- Most of the core packages done
- colcon improvements still being worked on
- C++ API documentation
- Got a new release of rosdoc2 dependency exhale
- Need to retest and see if this fixes the issues we were having
- If it does, this is done
- RViz2 stability
- Still one outstanding PR to review/merge: add implementation for cancel interface by iuhilnehc-ynos · Pull Request #809 · ros2/rviz · GitHub
- Then this will be complete
- Python API documentation
- There have been improvements here, but still seems a ways off. This may not get finished for Humble.
- Transition to Jammy (Ubuntu 22.04)
- Working groups [<=5 mins each]
- Hardware lifecycle done very soon
- joint_trajectory_controller supporting velocity joint interfaces
- Fixes to ros2_control_node main loop, drastically reduced time error
- TransmissionLoader & plugins are landing, first PR already merged
- Work being done on array-type command interfaces (longer term work)
- Life hack announcement!!
[Angelo Cosaro] Edge AI
[Martin Losa] Embedded
[Henning Kayser] Manipulation
- Current focus is completing the MoveIt Setup Assistant migration/redesign, expected to be available for MoveIt Humble in May
- New library for simplified MoveIt launch files moveit_config_utils (https://github.com/ros-planning/moveit2/pull/591)
- We are currently dealing with CI issues because of Rolling->Jammy
- Started planning for new GSoC projects
[Biggs] Client Libraries
- New working group started this month.
- Two meetings held so far.
- The need for more client library documentation (how to use life cycle nodes effectively, etc.)
- Proposed re-homing of ros-tooling/libstatistics_collector to the ros2 organisation
- Problems, gaps, and potential solutions with the life cycle node design, the state machine, and the current implementation
- “Read-only” parameters and whether they should be writable/deletable by the owning node
- Working on a roadmap
- Preparing ROS2 RPI4 Ubuntu-based image for the real-time
- RT_PREEMPT kernel + ROS2 galactic + 20.04 GitHub - ros-realtime/ros-realtime-rpi4-image
- next step is to include a RT reference system and tools
- ROS2-DDS-TSN talk by Andrei Terechko, NXP Invited talk on the ROS and TSN integration for the ROS 2 real-time working group.pdf - Google Drive
- Held two meetings to follow up on the successful safety survey
- Decided the direction for the working group over the next year or so
- Two topics will be taken on:
- Providing a worked end-to-end example of producing a safety-critical robot system using a simple (and so not really safety-critical) example
- The relationship between the existing Quality Declarations REP and safety
- Monthly meeting on the 8th of Feb. Discussion around a security reference implementation project.
- Andrei – check out OpenSSF Announces The Alpha-Omega Project to Improve Software Supply Chain Security for 10,000 OSS Projects - Open Source Security Foundation
- Next ROS 2 distro release
- #712: Discussion around authentication support in rosbridge, decided to discontinue support in ROS 2 (it never worked in ROS 2)
- Planning to migrate content from robotwebtools.org to webtools.ros.org
- Open Robotics gave update on System Viewer extension for Foxglove and static analyzer web tools
- Foxglove Studio 1.0 release
- Initial MCAP beta release (with C++/Python/Go/TypeScript libraries). Broke ground on experimental ROS 2 bag storage plugin for rolling.
- Bag_rewrite: discussion around how to handle unknown types and topics with multiple types