ROS Resources: Documentation | Support | Discussion Forum | Service Status | Q&A answers.ros.org

ROS 2 TSC Meeting Minutes: 2020-01-16

ROS 2 TSC Meeting Agenda: 2020-01-16

  • Attendees
    • Toffee Albina from TRI is out sick - sorry to be missing the meeting
    • Aaron Blasdel from Amazon
    • Thomas Moulard from Amazon
    • Joe Speed from ADLINK
    • Lokesh Kumar Goel from LG Electronics - replacing Brian Shin as TSC rep
    • Kyle Fazzari from Canonical
    • Jaime Martin from eProsima
    • Karsten Knese from Bosch
    • Dejan Pangercic from Apex.AI
    • Sean Yen from Microsoft
    • Will Son from ROBOTIS
    • Brian, Dirk, Louise, Tully, William from Open Robotics
    • Steve Macenski Samsung Research
    • Geoffrey Biggs from Tier IV
    • Matthew Hansen + Harold Yang, Intel
  • Preliminaries
    • [2 mins][Hansen] Hand-off of Intel’s TSC rep
      • New Intel rep: Harold Yang
  • Old business
    • [15 mins][Gerkey] Introduce and briefly discuss REP 2005: ROS 2 Standard Library (nĂ©e ROS 2 Essentials)
      • Encourage all TSC members to weigh in.
      • Reach consensus on using this list as the definition of “the project” for the purposes of evaluating whether new TSC applicants and current TSC members are “contribut[ing] materially to the project” (from our charter).
      • Agree on feedback that Gerkey will provide to two pending applicants.
  • New business
    • [Hansen] Request for help with Navigation2 going forward
    • [Biggs] ROSCon JP will be held on September 8 in Tokyo
    • [Blasdel] PAL & Amazon are talking about a ros control working group to get ros control ported to ROS2.
    • Process for creating TSC working group. Present proposal to TSC meeting for a approval
    • [Speed] OpenSplice RMW to Eclipse Cyclone DDS, fewer RMWs to support. Targeting Foxy
      • Help OpenSplice users move to Eclipse Cyclone DDS which is easier, faster, smaller and more efficient than OpenSplice. Both come from the same development team so Eclipse Cyclone DDS will seem easy & familiar to OpenSplice users. ADLINK will give technical support to help OpenSplice users make the transition…
      • All parties will stop building or supporting rmw_opensplice for Foxy (Eloquent and earlier still maintained).
        • Speed to post to Discourse (DONE) and update rmw_opensplice README.
        • D.Thomas to update REP-2000
    • [Karsten] Status of rclcpp: Wish to refactor for more RT and execution management.
      • Bosch may put together PRs that refactor things; will need review
      • Woodall may be able to help with both development and review
      • Apex.AI planning to make a number of contributions, via internal resources and at Open Robotics
      • Plan: use real time WG to determine relative priority of different options (loaned messages vs. take N message vs. refactoring rclcpp vs. changing how executors work)
        • [Biggs] WG should consolidate and summarize status and priorities
          • Pangercic to create a page; look at safety WG as an example
      • [Biggs] What about rcl? (For people who don’t want to use C++)
        • [Woodall] Current efforts focus on rclcpp but will benefit rcl. And rcl isn’t meant to be user-facing.
    • [Pangercic] ROS 2 User Survey?
      • [Foote] No current plan for a survey. We usually do it on demand when we know what we’re trying to learn.
      • [Pangercic] Question(s) to ask:
        • Is ROS 2 becoming mainstream?
      • Pangercic to determine what Apex.AI wants to learn and then come back with some proposed questions.
    • [Macenski] Samsung may be able to contribute more engineering resources with experience on static and dynamic analysis; what should they work on?
      • [Fazzari] Security-related analyses
      • [Woodall] Quality-level analyses
  • Recurring business
    • Next ROS 2 distro release - Foxy
      • [5 mins][D. Thomas] Update on status, roadmap, changes since last time
        • REP PR
          • As mentioned in the last meeting: decision to use C++17 (e.g. filesystem) pending, will be made soon if there is no further input
        • Timeline
        • Release page which will accumulate changes / migration notes over time
        • Foxy ticket has only sparse information - please comment with your contributions!
          • Ongoing OR work items:
            • Change mapping of ROS nodes to DDS participants, instead allow multiple ROS nodes within the same context to share one DDS participant
              • [Jaime] Major DDS implementations are designed to share the participant, including OpenSplice, RTI, CoreDX, OpenDDS, and Fast RTPS, So I recommend to really push this change.
                • Specifically recommend to use one DDS participant per process
              • [Speed] Avoid this change to ROS 2? Users can choose RMW that fits their use case w/o changing ROS 2, see ros2/design#250 (specific feedback from Erik/Joe here and here). Eclipse Cyclone DDS handles this use case w/o any change to ROS 2. Dirk asks if Eclipse Cyclone DDS team can show others how they could can make other RMWs do this.
              • [D.Thomas] We’re open to alternative proposals
              • [Biggs] This discussion is a good argument to form a Middleware WG; DThomas to follow up
            • Support use case of using xacro to perform substitutions that can be passed to parameters
            • Python API for iterating over messages in a bag
          • Many items on the roadmap would be important but require resources (some random unordered examples):
            • Check uniqueness of node names
            • Configure logging (by file and/or at runtime)
            • Introspect QoS settings
            • Notify about graph changes (add/remove nodes/pub/sub/service/client)
            • Executor performance problems
            • Interoperability between native DDS entities and ROS entities
            • rosbag: clock / simtime support
            • Common way to configure RMW
            • Fix custom message allocators with intra-process comm
    • Working groups [5 mins each]
      • [Knese] Embedded
        • No updates
      • [Macenski] Navigation
        • “Default SLAM” Navigation working group result - SLAM Toolbox
          • In coming weeks talking about management of the repo and adding relevant other maintainers
          • Macenski to announce on Discourse
        • Working on a working group IROS paper comparable to the “Office Marathon” paper
      • [Pangercic] Real-time
        • Meeting Jan 8: ROS 2 Real-time Working Group Online Meeting 8 - Jan 8, 2020, 7AM PDT (UTC-8)
          • LET executor: Working on addressing comments with new PR on rclc (within the next week)
          • Silexica Performance Testing Platform
            • AWS ECU resources are requested (Kai and Aaron were just introduced)
          • Performance Testing white paper is in progress
          • [DThomas] some PR pending, Apex will take a look
      • [Biggs] Safety
        • No updates
      • [Fazzari] Security
        • Discussed changing the 1-1 node to DDS participant mapping and assigned action items for security-related features
        • Vulnerability disclosure policy being drafted
        • Next meeting scheduled for 1/28
        • [Woodall] Relevant REP covering quality level definitions: REP 2004
      • [Blasdel] Tooling
        • Cross Compile tool now supports ROS1 targets
        • Moving Cross Compile tool to generic python pip-installable package like colcon
        • System Metrics collector close to first release (it was also forked by a community member for ROS1 backporting!)
        • ROSbag2 per-bagfile compression will be landed in the next week
        • [DThomas] Users are reporting problems logging topics based on QoS settings / playing back with the same QoS. Also they can’t play back simtime/clock.
      • [Speed] Edge AI
        • kick-off discussion next week
2 Likes

Family names! We’re getting really professional now! :wink:

Just a small modification: In Spain they have two last names (e.g. Martin Losa), so either use the first name “Jaime”, or use the complete last name “Martin Losa”. Other alternative is: @Jaime_Martin_Losa

:slight_smile: