Following the multiple discussions around the cross-compilation of ROS2, I would like to combine all the effort under the same topic.
There are a couple of different link regarding the cross-compilation (for arm architecture):
- the instructions we put together for the aarch64: ros2-for-arm
- this issue on the ros2-for-arm repo
- esteve ros2-raspbian-tools
- alsora github
- which appear on this issue_1, issue_2 on discourse
- and probably other one…
The different instructions are using the same tools to achieve the cross-compilation:
- a cmake toolchainfile
- docker/chroot + qemu to prepare the target filesystem
- docker as environment for the cross-compilation
To simplify the life of the people who would like to cross-compile ros2 and concentrate the contribution on this topic at one place, I would like to:
- create a “ROS2 Cross-compilation” page with the instructions under ros index tutorials (I will do the PR in the coming days)
- push the required files on the ros2/crosscompile repo (Docker files + cmake toolchainfile)
how does it sound ?
Please give me your opinions on this and any suggestions are welcome !