ROSRider evolution: comprehensive board to control any differential drive robot

ROSRider evolution: comprehensive board to control any differential drive robot

ROSRider is a low-cost robot control board that can be configured for any differential drive robot. It is based on a generic open source HW controller for motors with encoders. It proposes a comprehensive board that has a cortex microcontroller and their required interfaces for communication peripherals and motor controllers.

Get a grasp of potential applications in link and link.

ROS roder aims to be an Open Source robot control board that lowers the barrier for building a ROS based robot.

High interoperability

• This high interoperability is due to the MCU that has HW peripherals for controlling the encoders and motors, find all HW components here. It is compatible with any sort of motor with any reduction rate and any kind of encoder configuration. Parameters such as gear ratio, encoder ppr, wheel diameter are passed from ROS to ROSRider board, thus allowing any encoder motor to be used as a servomotor.

Straightforward driver control

• ROSRider provides a ROS-Native Hardware Abstraction Layer that allows any differential drive robot to be controlled. ROSRider, plugged to a USB port, turns any system into a ROS based differential drive robot.

ROS 1: The original port was done over the ROS serial bridge

ROSRider is a project of Altıneller Robotik ve Yazılım Anonim Şirketi

All inquiries about ROSRider, please email: info@rosrider.com

5 Likes

Interesting. Are you making and selling these?

Does it do under-voltage power off to save my LiPo batteries?

Does it do both brushed and brushless motors? IPM motors?

How does it compare to existing motor driver boards like V-ESC, ODrive, RoboClaw, Moteus, and such? E g, what does this one do, that those ones don’t?

Hello,

Yes I am making and selling these, yet in singular quantities and handmade for now. We will soon have them built by a pcb house.

It does have programmable software fuses that will cut off the battery via mosfet switch in case of under-voltage, over-voltage, and over-current, as well as over-current protection for individual motors.

It does not do brushless motors, when we originally posted “any kind of motor” we meant any kind of brushed motor, up to 2.5A current.

The driver board offers on board PID controller, (for the ROS2 version), measuring and management of battery voltage and current, as well as individual motor currents, and is published as /rosrider/diagnostics topic, and has a programmable 5V aux power supply, i2c, serial ports for different uses.

I am not fully familiar with the drivers you mentioned, but ROSRider aims to be a plug-and-play board that works with ROS. Also has a boot-loader that works over USB, so one can reprogram the board without needing specialized equipment but just a linux computer.

Best Regards,
Can

1 Like