What happened to ROS India Community?

I recently came across the ROS India User Group and noticed that it hasn’t been very active lately. As a robotics enthusiast, it’s discouraging to see the Indian community not as vibrant as it could be. I’m eager to be part of the effort to revive it and make it active again. Let’s work together to bring new energy to the ROS India community!

I’m Pranav Kolekar, a ROS developer currently in the learning phase. You can connect with me through my socials:

Let’s collaborate and build something great!

1 Like

Hi @Pranav-2003 We are organising Roscon India for the second year as posted here. The ROS Community is quite large and active in India but I agree that we are not active on discourse or any other social media platform. We did some meetups last year and will be doing more this year as well for community engagement. We will be happy to support you for improving the engagement here

1 Like

Hi @PratNag ,

Thank you for the update! I’m really excited about the upcoming ROSCon India and the meetups—it’s fantastic to see such events being organized in our country.

That being said, while these events are crucial, I feel improving engagement on social media and ROS Discourse is equally important. The ROS India community still feels somewhat constrained due to limited exposure to robotics and especially ROS. When I look at communities abroad, there’s a lot of activity and collaboration, but it’s not quite the same here. As someone about to graduate and actively seeking opportunities in the field, I found it difficult to discover these resources, and I’m sure many others are in the same situation. This highlights the need to create more awareness and pathways for students and professionals alike.

I’d be happy to contribute toward boosting this engagement, and since you’ve mentioned you’d be happy to support, I believe we can make a significant impact.

Given the current scenario, I believe arranging more meetups and events, and making them accessible to a wider audience, especially students, is the best approach. What are your thoughts on this?

1 Like

Hi @Pranav-2003,

It’s awesome to hear from someone as passionate as you about reviving the ROS India User Group! I’ve actually noticed the same thing and posted a topic about
streamlining-ros-development-with-docker-and-vscode-devcontainers in the group back in August.

I’d love to team up and brainstorm some cool ideas to get things buzzing again. Let’s connect and figure out how we can make the ROS India community more active and engaging!