DC motor model plugin for Gazebo-ROS

Hi all,

I’ve just finished a DC motor plugin for gazebo:

bye,
m.

8 Likes

hello, can i ask which version of ros and gazebo is this developed in? i am facing some issues while compiling using catkin_make.

@rrrh it works fine on ROS Melodic and Gazebo 9.0. I just configured the package

If anyone has been able to get this running in ROS Kinetic and Gazebo 7.0 I would be interested to learn how.

I was getting an issue with SimTime that was fixed by replacing it with GetSimTime

now “error: ‘class gazebo::physics::Joint’ has no member named ‘Position’” is the stumbling block

A lot changed between 7.0 and 9.0 : https://github.com/osrf/gazebo/blob/master/Migration.md

I can take a look at it at the weekend if you don’t feel like updating to at least 9.0 ?

I’ve tried to add gazebo 7 support, it’s on kinetic branch. There is currently no way for me to try if it works.

Thanks for the clarification. May I ask have you tried using this motors to simulate a robot?

Currently I am trying to model a holonomic robot, and I have 4 motors, 1 for each wheel. The holonomic movement is fine when my robot faces the x axis. However, when i rotate my robot 90 degrees about the z axis to face the y axis, the movements do not make sense. I am not sure of what is the current issue that I am facing.

hi!

yes, i am using it in most of my robot simulations, some of which are holonomic.

Did you face any issues while integrating the motors for your holonomic robot? Sorry to trouble you, as I really have no idea why my simulation isn’t making sense.

Please try the joint_motor.xacro and see if the problem persists. I had no issues so far with the dc simulations, but that doesn’t mean that there are none. Is the source to your simulation accessible ( I could take a look ) ?

Ah, I’m using kinetic-gazebo 7 though :frowning: I’ll try and troubleshoot more and see if I can get it to work. Meanwhile, i’ve tried your kinetic branch and it seems to be working fine as of now.

Hi @nilseuropa ,
thanks for the great work!
I’ve tried the kinetic branch and it works quite well!

However, I have a question for you.
Is it possible to extract from your package only the dc motor simulation, i.e., not joined with a specific joint.
I would need to simulate multiple dc motors acting on a single joint, how difficult would it be?

Thanks,
bye
Ric

Hello, can you create a youtube video on how to implement these plugins in gazebo and ros?

@nilseuropa can you please help with creating a video tutorial on how to use this dc model. Thank you very much in advance