GSOD 2021: ROS2 tutorials on tf2 and ros2 launch

Hello everyone!

My name is Shyngyskhan, a graduating bachelor’s student in Robotics and Mechatronics at Nazarbayev University, Kazakhstan, and I am happy to announce that I am going to participate in the Google Summer of Docs program with Open Robotics this year.

For the following six months, I will be writing intermediate tutorials on tf2 and ros2 launch as there appears a need in them (example) and as these are (I believe) essential components of robot development on early stages. Therefore, I aim to close this gap and help developers to learn concepts on transformations and launch files by doing in an easy and interactive way.

As a reference, I aim to focus on resolving following two issues and follow the same structure for tutorials:

However, I am open to any ideas and if you believe that it is worth to cover something else, please feel free to post it in comments below :point_down:

19 Likes

Congratulations! I just started migrating my master’s project from ros1 to ros2, I’ll be watching out for these.

3 Likes

Really great!! In ros2 tf2 it is important to works the concept of Odom and map frames.
About ros launch, I think the documentation should be arranged and some patterns, because the projects make different and learn is so difficult. For launch maybe can be interesting to review this package

1 Like

This is really good, mainly have good documentation about ROS 2 launch that can show simple and even more complex possibilities that are now available once we have the code in Python. Show the possibilities with Python but also, using XML I think is also good because can help to learn making some comparisons with ROS “1” that already have a lot of material.

3 Likes

Hi, great initative! One thing I struggled with python launchs is using xacro, it would be great to have a section about urdf and xacro, how to use it with parameters in the launch file or from an external yaml file. Thanks!

2 Likes