June 2023 Meetings Aerial Robotics

Hi all!

Hope that some of you are having a nice time at ICRA! I couldn’t join anymore due to recent events so I hope to come another time.

Here the announcement for the next meeting:

2023-06-07T14:00:00Z
Meeting link meet.google.com/snn-qapb-obz
See the community calendar

There will be a scientific meeting with a presentation from Gerald Peklar (@Gerald_Peklar ) from NXP talking about the their hardware development and ROS2 integration for the Drones4Bats project. This will last 20-30 minutes and we will have time to discuss the work afterwards.

Like last time, we will also pick a topic for discussion for the meeting on the 21th of June.

3 Likes

Here is the recording of yesterdays meeting:

update
You can find the slides here:

NXP_mobile_robotics_intro_202305_ROSaerialWG.pdf (3.0 MB)

Thanks @Gerald_Peklar for a great presentation!

Also we had a poll for the new topic:

Answer Count
Non-autonomy packages for UAVs 0
Aerial robotics simulation 2
Message standards for UAVs 1
Swarm communication 3
Safety management systems 1
Legality and Airspace access 0
Hardware, components, devkits 0
Aerial vehicle types 0
Planning in 3D 2
Another topic… namely… (say in chat) 0

So we will be having a discussion about Swarm communication in the next meeting on 2023-06-21T14:00:00Z. I’ll send a reminder for that in this thread somewhere next week.

3 Likes

The next meeting will be next Wednesday:

2023-06-21T14:00:00Z
Meeting link http://meet.google.com/snn-qapb-obz
See the community calendar

This will a developer/discussion meeting to talk about swarm managment. Please checkout this thread and respond with your feedback such that we have a good base to start the discussion with:

Update
Agenda:

• Introduction ‘Swarm communication and management’
  • Discussion:
    • Why is it important for UAVs (why not another working group?)
    • Definition of swarms
    • Swarms Communication
    • Swarms management
    • Other pain points for swarms?
  • Technicalities workgroup
    • Summer schedule?
    • Announcement presentation next meeting
1 Like

It was a pleasure to present. Unfortunately i’m not allowed (yet) to upload the presentation as a new user.

1 Like

If you’d like, you can send the pdf to me by mail and I’ll upload it for you?

Also a preliminary agenda for tomorrow!

• Introduction ‘Swarm communication and management’
  • Discussion:
    • Why is it important for UAVs (why not another working group?)
    • Definition of swarms
    • Swarms Communication
    • Swarms management
    • Other pain points for swarms?
  • Technicalities workgroup
    • Summer schedule?
    • Announcement presentation next meeting

Hi all!

Here are the recordings slides and transcripts of the 21th of June meeting

Files:
snn-qapb-obz (2023-06-21 16_06 GMT+2) - Transcript.pdf (130.1 KB)
snn-qapb-obz (2023-06-21 16_06 GMT+2) - chat.pdf (26.5 KB)
Aerial Robotics WG Meeting June 2023 - Meeting #2.pdf (185.9 KB)

I also have here the slides of the presentation of 2 weeks ago. I’ve updated the above post.
NXP_mobile_robotics_intro_202305_ROSaerialWG.pdf (3.0 MB)

So in 2 weeks (July 7th) there will be a presentation by Alejandro to talk about Vehicle gateway (see this linkedin post). After that we will go on a month summer break and restart mid August. I’ll give more info in a next thread.

3 Likes

Just saw the Swarm UAVs discussion @KimMcG @Gerald_Peklar @mrpollo and others, really fun stuff!

I think there is great opportunity to adapt prior research from IoT/Wireless Sensor Networks for solving several problems you mentioned in the discussion regarding communication for both indoor and outdoor use cases. I’d love to see if this is one of our development focuses once we crystallize to that stage post mapping the information landscape and also contribute.

Just off of my prior exposure/research endeavours, CoAP can be used as a lightweight service discovery mechanism. If we can do IPv6 and 6lowpan our addressing stuff is sorted or else Zigbee/similar layer 2+3 tech can be useful. Broadcast/following remote ID design decisions can be a good starting point but I believe we can do better and make fault tolerant mesh based communication links while being energy aware, lightweight, low latency.

@KimMcG I also like the consideration that we need to be thinking about simulating the comms when we talk about swarm simulation. NS3 or similar network simulators’ plugins into ROS should be a great place to start on that front.