New Working Group Proposal: Education Working Group

Hi Everyone,

After some discussions with a number of different educators, I’ve noticed a bit of a problem. ROS is used by many institutions of higher education to teach introductory and advanced robotics, however, each institution has a slightly different approach to teaching ROS in a classroom setting. The number of robots, dev environments, code bases, and reference materials is almost as large as the number of organizations teaching ROS. While I think having a multiplicity of approaches is good, it leads to a lot of duplication of effort. I see similar problems when it comes to ROS workshops, every workshop has a slightly different approach, and the instructors spend a lot of time just getting students to the point where they can start learning. As the ROS community grows it would be immensely helpful for us to have a common starting point for ROS education.

I would like to propose the formation of a ROS Education Working Group (EdWG). I want to be extremely intentional about the goals of this working group; there are lots of different ways to approach learning robotics, and right now we can’t make progress on every front. Instead, I want to narrowly focus the working group on improving ROS education for undergraduate and graduate students in a classroom setting. Everyone is welcome to participate in the working group, but I believe this will work best if the scope of the working group is narrowly focused on a specific end-user.

I’ve drafted a tentative summary of the EdWG’s goals and subprojects and included it below. The next step for the EdWG is to gather an initial set of members and find a good time to meet. I propose that we meet bi-weekly and tick-tock the meeting time to accommodate as many people as possible. Please fill out the brief survey below so we can select a time for the first working group meeting and gather a list of interested parties. I will draft an agenda and announce the first meeting once the poll below closes.

Please complete the form by 2023-08-08T16:00:00Z.

:point_right: EdWG Interest Form :point_left:

ROS 2 Education Working Group Summary

References

Objectives

The ROS 2 Education Working Group (EdWG) is intended to bring together educators from the ROS community to share their educational materials, resources, and approaches related to ROS, robotics, and software engineering for robotics. A successful ROS EdWG will produce a wide variety of open-source educational materials for the ROS robotics community including texts, tutorials, projects, curriculum, simulation environment, and class notes. The EdWG’s goal will be to release this material online for freely available download and use under an open-source license.

This working group is intended to produce the resources necessary for the successful practical use of ROS by institutions of higher education with a particular focus on undergraduate education. Where and when possible the work products of the EdWG should reference, improve, and extend existing core ROS resources and serve to supplement the existing ROS documentation.

Scope

Robotics is a vast and growing field, and the community’s need for educational materials is almost limitless. A small working group, composed of voluntary members, simply cannot address every community need, “good idea”, or new educational robot. Instead, the EdWG will scope its efforts to a small number of subprojects that directly accelerate the use of ROS by institutions of higher education. Because the EdWG is intended to be a working group and not a “discussion group”, EdWG members will be asked to make regular contributions towards one of the subprojects. On a rolling-basis the members of the EdWG will define the current subprojects via group discussion and democratic decision making.

Subprojects

These are proposed initial EdWG subprojects:

• “Semester of Robotics with ROS” Outline
    • Define the skills and background knowledge of the “average” undergraduate ROS student.
    • Define what a complete undergraduate ROS course would look like in terms of the ROS API.
    • Reference existing ROS 2 documentation on the selected topics.
    • Select external resources for core concepts, preferably open source or open access.
    • Determine best balance between software concepts and practical concepts.
    • Define relevant packages for the course (e.g. MoveIt, Nav2, ros_2_control).
    • The course should cover enough classroom topics for one undergraduate class with the option for the educator to provide one or two labs for practical experience.
    • This outline would be used to guide subsequent efforts.
  • Core Ed Platform Development
    • Define how to structure and host ROS educational materials such that they can be used, improved, shared, and maintained by educators.
    • Specific recommendations for file types, repository structure, structure for example and project code, etc.
    • TurtleBot4 is the current working model
    • Propose an approach for updating materials for each ROS 2 release.
  • Define and Build “Student Sandbox”
    • Students struggle getting started with ROS.
      • To overcome this some groups package ROS on a remote machine with a web-based IDE, some groups release Docker containers, some build simply Python interfaces.
    • This subproject would examine these approaches and pick a single approach for sandboxing ROS for undergraduate education that the EdWG can build upon.
    • This subproject must define how a student sandbox would work for both a simulated and real robot.
    • This sub project would define the requirements for the ROS student sandbox and build it.
    • Provide hands-on examples for common open source robotics platforms.

Members

TBD

Logistics

• Bi-monthly Meeting:
    • Day: TBD
    • Time: TBD
  • Repository:
  • Charter:
  • Google E-mail Group:
22 Likes

Looking forward to sharing this with the University members within ROS-I. Thanks!

Excited to see this kickoff Kat! I missed the first meeting, but I’m interested to contribute and join the WG. I’ll keep my eye out for this.

Missed the first meeting. Very good initiative. I will try to give my contribution!

Hi All,

I missed the first meeting but am very interested in contributing to this beautiful initiative. I am a new grad Masters student fresh out of college, but I would like to contribute all the same. Please let me know when and how I can help.

Our next meeting is 2023-08-30T15:00:00Z. I’ll make a post shortly.

Hi Katherine,

Is the meeting on the 30th open attendance, or do I need to register to attend ?

Thanks
John

You don’t need to register, just show up. The announcement will go out today or tomorrow.

Hi @Katherine_Scott,

As robolaunch, we can set up robolaunch for free for those who need the “Student Sandbox”. It requires GPU-powered servers or computers only. Instructors can provision remote(or in-class) virtual classrooms if they have servers. Additionally, standalone PC deployment is available with just the scripts that we provide.

robolaunch is a Kuberntes based Cloud Robotics Platform that orchestrates ROS containers, ROS Bridges, Cloud IDE, and Virtual Desktops in one-stop-shop service.While developing robots, we aim to remove all technological barriers for everyone.

It supports any kind of robots and provides physical robot deployment for Hardware-in-the-Loop (HIL) and Simulation-to-Real deployments. This deployment can also be done for remote sites with the help of embedded VPN connection. robolaunch’s Kubernetes Operators is able to scale number of robots seamlessly for fleet deployments. We also have teleoperation interfaces, but we can also provision Foxglove.

GPU-powered servers can offload AI tasks across the robot and cloud instances, allowing users to perform Computer Vision tasks like 3D reconstruction, visual SLAM, and image processing such as segmentation or lane detection without any hassle.

I am sharing video tutorials of robolaunch with you here. Please let us know if anyone is interested in robolaunch deployment.

Last but not least, we have 2 different 3D printed mobile robot design that helps everyone to build it is own robot. Both of them are backpack size. I am sharing grabcad link below too.

Cloudy MK2: https://grabcad.com/library/robolaunch-cloudy-mkii-1
Cloudy MK3: https://grabcad.com/library/robolaunch-cloudy-mkiii-1

1 Like

Thanks @hidayet_tunc for sharing the information on work done by Robolaunch, it really impressive.

This reminds me of a very good open-source work done by JDERobots Robotics Academy , They have some guided exercises in a docker with code editors, and simulations running side by side.

2 Likes

I probably won’t have time to join the meeting, but I’ll also leave some resource pointer.

For my robotic programming course at ZHAW we use docker containers running on a K8S GPU cluster and connected to real robots either via wireguard VPN or Zenoh.
The containers are open source and in Noetic we support simulation and real for Turtlebot3, Niryo One, SummitXL with UR5:

In humble TB3 works out of the box and I’m now in the process of porting the Summit mobile manipulator.
Containers support both CPU-only or nvidia GPU

1 Like

Yes @Shyam_Ganatra, at the RoboticsAcademy of the open-source JdeRobot organization we use a docker image as sandbox, and the web browser as the general and cross-platform User Interface (for code editing of the robotics application, for visualization of its execution…).

A new exercise is coming to our open-source RoboticsAcademy: just program a real TurtleBot2 from your browser (Windows, Linux, MacOS), in Python, to follow a person.

All dependencies (ROS2 Humble, TensorFlow…) are preinstalled in our RADI docker image.

Credits to Lucía Chen (https://www.linkedin.com/in/lucía-chen-h-b205bb275).

It is another example of the capability of RoboticsAcademy to work with real robots, not only with simulated ones in Gazebo.

1 Like

Hi Katherine,

Did you post a link for tomorrow?

Thanks
John

It is in this post. and in the ROS events calendar.

Please did the educational meeting hold today ? .I tried connecting but it wasn’t going through

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.