Proposal for SMACC WG

Hello everyone,
I would like to present to the community, a proposal for a new informal ROS working group, the SMACC WG.

The objective of the SMACC WG, is to advance the current state of the art in robotic applications, by utilizing the SMACC state machine library for ROS and ROS2.

We will be focused on…

• The creation of new SMACC state machine examples that demonstrate advanced autonomy capabilities.

• The creation of new SMACC clients that will enable the utilization of SMACC on platforms with different peripherals.

• Improvements to the core SMACC library, bug-fixes, new features, etc.

• Improving the documentation of the library.

• Surveying the community interest in using SMACC for particular use cases in ROS 2 and Gazebo.

• Producing demonstrations with real robots that utilize SMACC to meet their application requirements.

Current plans are to meet every two weeks with meetings scheduled for Friday, 9am Pacific Standard Time. Our first meeting will probably be Oct. 14.

For those who haven’t heard of SMACC before, here are some discourse threads with videos that can give you an idea of what we’ve got in mind…

And finally, I’d like to ping a few people who have expressed interest in a SMACC WG: @Ximenes, @ARob, @MrBlenny, @Alex, @peterpolidoro, @Tord, @peci1, @zenified, @kcasey, @Joe_Dinius

For anyone who would like to join, attend or help out with organizing the WG, please reply to this thread or PM me.

Thank you,

7 Likes

I am assuming that you want this to be a community working group, and not an official TSC working group?

Happy to help either way! Shoot me an e-mail and we’ll get you on ROS events calendar.

2 Likes

Thank you! @Katherine_Scott
The end goal is to become an official TSC working group, with a charter, etc.

But I thought we’d get started with a community group as we get the required documentation together. I’m using this document as a reference… How to Start a Community Working Group — ROS 2 Documentation: Rolling documentation

1 Like

Yep, I just wanted to clarify. Like I said shoot me an e-mail and we’ll get you access to the ROS Calendar.

1 Like

I’m in. Twentycharacters

1 Like

Alright! Welcome aboard @Tord
Who’s our second brave soul?:)…

1 Like

@brettpac please count me in.

Welcome aboard Rasid:)

I’m not sure why I chose a “Yes!” video with a guy carrying a sword, but it felt right in the moment;)

Hey @brettpac, I’ll be happy to be a part of this WG

Welcome aboard @jclock! For those not in the know, Jaycee is an extremely creative and talented programmer who has already made a number of important pull requests to the library…

This is going to be awesome.

Hi, I’m working for AgriRobot and we are planning on integrating SMACC in our system, so it would be a great opportunity for us to be part of the working group!

1 Like

Hey @brettpac, I’ll be happy to be a part of this team

Thanks

@brettpac, would be great to jump on this!

@Antoni, @Oussama_Elhawat, and @natrad100
Welcome aboard gentlemen.

I’m very excited.
We’re reaching a critical mass;)

I have a feeling that the very strong perception pipelines fielded by Agrirobots, Greenroom robotics and Luum, will help us really nail down something of a standard interface between SMACC and proprietary perception pipelines.

A few of you who’ve talked to me offline have heard my thoughts regarding the similarities between teams of programmers and teams of musicians, and how my ultimate goal for the WG is to create something like the famous Wrecking Crew of 1960’s and 70s, focused on the application layer of robotics programming…

Count me in also!
My gosh do I wish I could bring those Carol Kaye baselines :fire:

I’m in too.
Twenty Characters.

Please let me in.

Thanks.

Count me in, please. Thanks!

1 Like

@MrBlenny, @ARob, @ZhenshengLee, @debjit
Welcome Aboard!
I’ll add you all to the invite list.

Also, I’d like to share with everyone a new repo that we’ve set up for the working group…

2 Likes