Robotics Research Engineer in Control and Navigation
About the role
Robotics Research Engineer in Control and Navigation – A talented robotics engineer with a strong
academic knowledge, background and professional experience in control and navigation algorithms,
techniques, methods and technologies; who is eager to join a fantastic opportunity in a fast growing
business at early stages where you will set the footprint in your domain.
Responsibilities and Key Duties:
• To work as part of a multi-functional Technology team on a range of solutions for autonomous
systems including drones and ground mobile robotics.
• To conduct state-of-the-art research and innovation in control and navigation for ground and aerial
robotics to bring novel ideas and applicability to the technology roadmap and portfolio.
• To propose and assess these novel ideas and translate them into algorithms, methods, and
technologies of interest to improve and enhance our products, platform, and solutions.
• To design and implement the software for our robotic solutions in Proof-of-Concepts and
demonstrations activities, in research and innovation projects such as the European Commission.
• To conduct thorough software and system testing and verification activities related to your domain,
ensuring quality of delivery and adherence to company practices and standards.
• To professionally document the code and adhere to configuration management practices.
• To own stakeholder engagement and relationships with project partners and 3
rd party suppliers.
• To process, assess and synthesise information including preparation of technical documentation,
with problem diagnostics and technical analyses in your domain.
• To participate in team development processes as well as contributing towards improvements.
Skills and Qualifications:
• Bachelor or master’s in Computer Science, Engineering, or relevant field to Robotics.
• Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in the field (PhD is considered as experience) in control
and navigation algorithms, methods, techniques, technologies, and systems.
• Strong control engineering background in classic control and strategies as well as in more modern
theories and practices such use of behaviour trees, AI, and ML techniques.
• Strong robotics navigation engineering background in commonly used navigation data and sensors
such as GNSS, IMU/INS, among others.
• Good track record in publications in robotic related conferences and journals such as ICRA, IROS,
IEEE Journal of Robotics, IEEE Transaction on Robotics, and so on.
• Excellent knowledge and skills with Linux and/or real-time OS systems.
• Knowledge and experience with ROS1/ROS2, C++ and Python development in Linux environment.
• Knowledge and experience of best practises in coding standards as well as use of documentation
tools such as Doxygen.
• Ability to work and liaise in a multi-cultural and international team.
• Excellent teamworking, collaborative spirit and communication skills.
• Proper time management and organisational skills.
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
• PhD in the domain of control and navigation for ground and/or aerial robotics.
• Large experience in executing or leading research and innovation projects, particularly under the
European Commission framework.
• Experience working under different Software Development Life Cycles including Agile and waterfall
methodologies such as Scrum method and V-model.
• Experience in undertaking applied research and innovation in large corporations.
Start Date: ASAP
Where: Barcelona, Spain
Remuneration: Competitive salary dependent upon experience plus benefits.
Type: Full-Time, Permanent
How to apply
Please apply by sending your Cover Letter and CV to email@example.com, both documents are mandatory. It is encouraged to apply ASAP as candidates are being processed until vacancy is fulfilled.
Reference letters from universities would be valuable and might be required later in the recruitment
IMPORTANT - When applying please clearly specify your nationality and if you believe you will need an authorization, visa or other paperwork to live and work in Barcelona, Spain.
About Unmanned Life
Unmanned Life is a global multi-award winning deep tech startup. Our core IP is the world’s first 5G and AI enabled software platform which can deploy and manage at scale, integrated swarms of different types of robotic devices (UAV, AGV etc.) of varied capabilities, working together autonomously to deliver commercial grade autonomous solutions for the Industry 4.0 and Smart Cities market sectors.
Our Mission is to become the Go-To Software Platform for Seamless Orchestration of Autonomous
Robotics. Unmanned Life enjoys strong relations with a number of major Fortune 500 partners and clients with opportunities in multiple geographies (Europe, USA & Middle East). We are a growing company with offices in London, Brussels and Barcelona.
About the team
Unmanned Life is a start up with a small but highly talented team (punching well above our weight) of
over 9+ nationalities, educated at the world’s top schools in their respective disciplines with experience
in deep tech and emerging technologies such as 5G, Cloud Computing, AI, Robotics, Autonomy as well as Business Leadership, Management and Sales in some of the world’s leading companies. We are the 2018 winners of the UK National Technology Award (and numerous others). We have existing projects, pilots, and strategic partnerships with household technology, telco and logistics players and industry behemoths such as Deutsche Telekom, Walmart, BT, Verizon, Nokia, SEAT, Telefonica & City of Vienna to name a few.
Our diverse team is highly motivated and unites on our mission to become the go to software platform
for the seamless orchestration of autonomous robotics. To find out more visit: https://unmanned.life/