Who’s interested in making ROS2 accessible for kids and teens in a somewhat friendly LEGO MINDSTORMS tutorial?
I would be interested, what do you have in mind ?
I would like to join in !!!
The basic idea is that kids learn the most while playing. So I was thinking: can we make a ROS setup, with a mindstorms robot, that kids can install, run and tweak. I think these elements will be important:
- During the installation/setup you learn some basic ROS concepts
- The project is cool enough for kids to really want to try it (a mapping project? a maze? a swarm?)
I want to do this lean and mean.
- brainstorm with you guys for an interesting project
- test with kids if they are interested
- build a ‘rough’ project
- Explain the basics to kids and test if they manage to tweak it
- Make the whole package with installation and building instructions.
I personally have no ROS experience, but I do have a lot of robot and MINDSTORMS experience, python, linux, macos,… and I can do building instructions.
What do you think?
Thanks for bringing this up @antonvh, certainly an interesting project!. I’d recommend you to look at http://wiki.ros.org/robot_blockly which can simplify the process of putting the first pieces of code together. This may be specially relevant if you aim to target kids.