πŸŽ‰ ROSCon 2023 Workshops and Registration

:tada: ROSCon 2023 Registration and Workshop :tada:

Hi everyone! On Monday we released our first batch of ROSCon sponsors and today I am happy to announce that the ROSCon workshops have been posted and we’ve opened up ROSCon registration and our hotel block. :tada:

:clap: We :clap: recommend :clap: that :clap: you :clap: register :clap: early :clap: for :clap: ROSCon. :clap:.

Not only will you get the best deal on event registration, but it is the only way to guarantee your seat in the workshops and at ROSCon itself. Workshops are capped at 50 people and they sold out super early last year. We also sold out of ROSCon tickets last year, and while we have added additional capacity this year, we’re likely to sell out once again.

This year ROSCon will have two full day workshops and two half-day workshops. I have briefly summarized the workshops below and full details are on the website. More information should be available on the website in the near future as it trickles in from the workshop organizers.

• Real-Time Programming with ROS 2 – Shuhao Wu Jan Staschulat (full day)
    • Real-time programming is an important technique to ensure robotic systems can respond to their environment in a timely and predictable manner to ensure safe operations. Participants will learn about operating systems and real-time concepts as well as best practices for real-time programming using ROS 2 Humble. Furthermore, an experimental real-time-compliant executor is presented. Throughout the day, four hands-on exercises will be prepared with two use-cases: (1) an inverted pendulum demo at 1kHz; and (2) a safety demo at 60Hz real-time. A panel discussion on open technical and organizational challenges for a real-time ROS 2 will be held.
  • Navigation University – @DLu (full day)
    • How do we make mobile robots go? This education-focused workshop will walk through the process of configuring a robot to navigate its environment, step by step, including: teleoperation, map building, localization costmaps, global planning, local planning, and high level coordination. Each participant will get a unique simulated robot to configure. For every component covered, there will be an introductory presentation covering the key variables and a guide of how to set up a ROS package to enable the robot to navigate successfully. "
  • ROS for Reach Study Analysis – Michael Rippenger (half-day)
    • A reach study analysis is a critical step in the design of a new robotic system, particularly when multiple configuration or robot options are being considered. This workshop will teach you how to deploy the REACH ROS package as a tool for quantitatively evaluating the reachability of a robotic system. You will run reach studies for several example robot system designs, develop plugins for custom behavior, and learn how to analyze the reach study results.
  • ROS 2 Control on Steroids – @destogl & @bmagyar (half day)
    • If you already know that the ros2_control framework acts as a Kernel for ROS 2 robotics systems, you are using it but struggling with application complexity, then this workshop is for you. The workshop covers the use of ros2_control in products from various industries and shows solutions for all the little issues when running 24/7. You will get a practical overview of concepts like controller chaining, hardware modularization, multi-robot architectures, parameter injection, and debugging of complex systems. On top of showcasing these functionalities, we expect your involvement in the discussion by bringing your complex application and discussing existing and potentially missing tooling in ros2_control.

ROSCon Talks

I want to remind everyone that ROSCon talk proposals are due 2023-07-09T07:00:00Z and we plan to get acceptance notifications out by 2023-08-17T07:00:00Z! We want your talks! The advice I give to everyone is, β€œDo not self-select your talks”. What I mean by this is that many individuals under value their own contributions, and your talk idea may be more important than you think! Let our room full of experts decide if your talk idea is valuable for the ROS community! The worst thing that can happen is that you draft your talk proposal for the next conference.

Startup Alley

Finally, I want to give a quick nudge to all the startups in the ROS community. This year we’ve added a ROS Startup Alley at ROSCon. Startup Alley is a row of reduced-cost shared booth space for new companies in the ROS ecosystem. If your startup is looking for a way to meet with the ROS community, and demonstrate your new product, Startup Alley mayt be a great option for you. Please see the ROSCon sponsorship prospectus for more information. Even if your startup does not meet all of the listed criteria, please come talk to us anyway, as we’re still trying to define what constitutes a β€œstartup.”

6 Likes

ROS 2 control on steroids.Hahaha , I love that .

1 Like

Did you apply to the scholarship this year?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.