Rviz_animated_view_controller orphaned - take over maintenance

Already made a PR but I wanted to draw some attention to it so someone with write access could merge it - I’d like to take over maintenance of the rviz_animated_view_controller package since it has been orphaned for 7 years to release it for Noetic one last time for ROS1 and then see if I can upgrade it for ROS2.

it provides a really nice plugin for animating the camera view of RVIZ which I think is very useful. I did a really fast search for this sort of thing so please let me know if another package with a different name offers similar features.

1 Like

Generally we recomend that if you encounter an abandonned repo/package to make a “best effort” attempt to work with the current owner. If you e-mail them multiple times and there is no response let us know and we can work with you to fork it.

1 Like

great suggestion! just reached out to him via email/linkedin…lets see what happens :slight_smile:

The thing I neglected to say is that you should try a couple of times over a couple different mediums (i.e. a good faith effort). If nothing happens let us know.

1 Like

@Katherine_Scott was able to get ahold of the original maintainer and he OK’d and merged the PR.

Know of anyone who could help add me to the ros-visualization group so I could start reviewing/merging in PRs for it?

@Katherine_Scott i’m gearing up to start some work on the rviz_anmiated_view_controller package - do you think you could help me get added to the ros-visualization group on github so I can maintain that package (and the view_controller_msgs package as well?)

1 Like

nevermind! just got access :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, that was easy!

Keep me posted as things progress. I can’t wait to see the results. We really appreciate you taking on this effort on the behalf of the community.

1 Like