The rosbag graveyard

Hi All and sorry for the provocative title.

First of all, I love rosbags. Recording things works mostly well and is incredibly usefull!

Fast forward to the issue (possibly I am just lacking knowledge on how to do this properly). Whenever analyzing rosbags, I seem to be writing some one time off pre-processing scripts and end up converting data into jpg / csv files. Sometimes I never get to analyze data for this additional step, and end up with a graveyard of soon-to-be-analyzed rosbags.

Again, forgive me I am naive, but why is all data stored in a single entity anyways? Would it also work to have a file per data stream, or would this cause synchronization issues?

I know rosbag2_py has some python bindings rosbag2/rosbag2_py at rolling Ā· ros2/rosbag2 Ā· GitHub that simplify access. Could anyone with more knowledge please provide me with some hints on accessing data in rosbags. Thank you so much!

2 Likes

Some solutions

These tools are great, any other tips?

The current project Iā€™m working on has 100+ topics. So, sure, you could have a file per topic, but that would become a lot very quickly.

That is another issue, yes: letā€™s say Iā€™m doing playback, or exploring a bag file with static code. I may want to look at two topics at the same point in time (maybe a ā€˜bounding boxesā€™ topic and a ā€˜labelsā€™ topic, for example). But thereā€™s another synchronization issue you may not be considering, which is that things in ROS donā€™t happen at the same time. The CSV (or dataframe) approach doesnā€™t really capture the fact that actually, messages are published on totally independent time scales from each other. Thereā€™s no guarantee that each topic will publish at the same time with the same rate (and in fact, they almost certainly wonā€™t). So instead, we have a file format that simply captures each message event as they happen.

As a final thought-- itā€™s certainly valid to record rosbags for the sake of converting and later analysis, but if youā€™re doing this itā€™s possible youā€™re not making full use of the tools available to you. For example, I really like using Foxglove to explore rosbag files, since it lets you scrub through time, play and view whatever sections youā€™re interested in seeing, etc. Iā€™ll also make use of utility nodes to handle a lot of the processing in real-time: for example, if I know Iā€™m recording a rosbag so I can compare two topics, Iā€™ll just write a quick python ROS node that does that and publishes it. That way I can capture that result with the context of the data that produced it, or I can even just write that to a CSV directly. And (as youā€™ve found) the python rosbag bindings are pretty handy, too.

1 Like

Have you considered using PlotJuggler?
It will natively load rosbags and allows you to write processing scripts using Lua (the basics can be learn in 10 minutes).

7 Likes

grepros - ROS Wiki can export ROS bag data in various formats, including CSV and SQLite, and output can be filtered in many ways, including message time and contents, and detailed conditions like ā€œread topic A only while topic B has value Xā€.

May be relevant to your use case. It can be used via command-line or via Python API.

1 Like

wow! Thank you for all the responses. I was definitely unaware of

• the post-processing capabilities of plotjuggler
  • the playback functionality of foxglove

Thank you for shining some light on this fact, it does make a lot of sense.

Maybe for clarification. I am mostly using rosbags to record data in frankly unstructured environments. Couple of robots / cameras / sensors + multiple teams working on different tasks + little time. The goal is not debugging, it is capturing, analysis and publication. Loads of post-processing. ROS makes the capturing happen, I can treat everyoneā€™s stuff as black-box and rely on a clean interface, it is just the analysis I am struggling with.

I am well aware that I am blind of the complexity, but it would be awesome to have some pandas-like API, where one could vaguely synchronize streams, delete / modify, search etc. I just donā€™t see how this could be done on a rosbag. It goes to the point where I write utility nodes, re-play, save as something else. It just feels odd. Like why would I have to go through the DDS-layer to achieve that?

It seems one has to do the post-processing during capture. Again, my fault. Sometimes I just donā€™t know everything in advance. E.g. I was relying on a static camera, but then the camera started drifting. So now I have to correct for this additional transform, yadi yadi yadi. Maybe complex things are just complex :smiley:

Re pandas, maybe this is possible: Accessing SQLite Databases Using Python and Pandas ā€“ Summer Data Carpentry: Introduction to Python but pandas will most certainly run into ram issues then

If it is ROS1 then for taking ā€œbig pictureā€ of your nodes and topics (and even getting sequence diagram from rosbag) you could use following tool (Iā€™m the author of):

I use it for system with 50+ nodes and 500+ topics (especially nodes and topics view).
For publication you will appreciate packages graph view too.

1 Like

Thereā€™s also rosbag-tools.
(Disclaimer : Iā€™m the developer)

1 Like

Personally, I record all my bags in MCAP format, and use their API to go through the messages! I find it comfortable, albeit maybe a little low-level for your usage?

1 Like

A bit unrelated questions, but what is the general difference between MCAP and general ROS bags?

1 Like

So rosbag is a storage API specific to ROS. It can record in different formats internally, at least SQLite and MCAP in ROS2. MCAP is just a binary file that contains messages, but you can store ROS1, ROS2, Protobuf and JSON messages in it. So MCAP is a bit more general than rosbag. However, if you want to use ROS-specific features such as replaying a bag in ROS, you need to use rosbag.

4 Likes

this is quite interesting indeed, thank you for sharing!

+1 for using MCAP API. I also do the same.

The only thing missing is maybe some tutorial about how to deserialize the ROS messages

Not quite. You can totally play back an MCAP file in ROS as well: MCAP equivalent of "rosbag play" Ā· Issue #461 Ā· foxglove/mcap Ā· GitHub. Granted, having to copy and paste python code from a github issue is not quite first-class support, and I never got around turning that little file into a pip or ROS package. But I still hope it helps.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.