Preparing for Humble sync and patch release 2023-11-20

We’re planning for a Humble sync and patch release on 2023-11-20T06:00:00Z. There are currently 134 packages to sync and no new regressions .

If you find a regression when testing, please report it upstream and leave a comment here so we can track it leading up to the sync and patch release.

Starting end of day 2023-11-13T06:00:00Z, we’ll hold all rosdistro PRs for Humble unless they fix reported regressions. On 2023-11-20T06:00:00Z I’ll announce the release.

There currently is a regression regarding ros2_control, that isn’t showing up in the builds: Controller sorting can cause segfaults when interfaces are created on controller configuring · Issue #1164 · ros-controls/ros2_control · GitHub

There is a fix in place (Fix the controller sorting bug when the interfaces are not configured (fixes #1164) by saikishor · Pull Request #1165 · ros-controls/ros2_control · GitHub) that would be nice to get included into the next sync as otherwise this will make things crash at runtime for people using the ur_robot_driver and potentially also in other ros2_control setups.

Edit: The corresponding rosdistro PR: ros2_control: 2.35.0-1 in 'humble/distribution.yaml' [bloom] by bmagyar · Pull Request #38983 · ros/rosdistro · GitHub

We’ve recently made an important update to ROS 2: loaned messages are now disabled by default. If you don’t know what loaned messages are, then you can stop reading now. If you are using loaned messages, continue reading.

We disabled the loaned messages by default to address safety concerns, as there were instances of shared pointers being unsafely reused across multiple callbacks. While this adjustment temporarily limits loaned message capabilities in callbacks, it’s a necessary step to ensure the reliability and safety of the system. See Disable the loaned messages inside the executor. by clalancette · Pull Request #2335 · ros2/rclcpp · GitHub for more details.

If you understand the risks of using loaned messages and want to enable them, you can set ROS_DISABLE_LOANED_MESSAGE=0 in the environment before launching your nodes.

Rest assured, we’re exploring options to safely reintroduce this feature in the future. Your understanding and support in this matter are greatly appreciated.

I merged it in. Thanks for letting me know!

I’ve bumped the patch date from 11/17 to 11/20. We’ve had some CI issues that are now resolved but took more time than expected.

D’oh! I thought it was fixed but we’re still having problems with CI.

I’ll post updates here.

Patch and sync are out!

1 Like