ROS Resources: Documentation | Support | Discussion Forum | Service Status | Q&A answers.ros.org

ROS 2 TSC Meeting Minutes: 2019-09-19

ROS 2 TSC Meeting Minutes: 2019-09-19

  • Attendees
    • Brian Gerkey, Dirk Thomas, Louise, Tully - Open Robotics
    • Jaime Martin Losa - eProsima
    • Joe Speed - ADLINK
    • Toffee Albina - TRI
    • Kyle Fazzari - Canonical
    • Lyle Johnson - Apex.AI
    • Matt Hansen - Intel
    • Pyo - ROBOTIS
    • Steve Macenski - Samsung Research America
    • Adam - AWS
    • Karsten - Bosch
    • Brian Shin - LG
    • Geoff - Tier IV
    • Sean Yen - Microsoft
    • Jerry Towler - SwRI / GVSC
  • Old business
    • [Gerkey] ROS Trademark update
      • Moving forward slowly.
  • New business
    • [Gerkey] ARM stepping back from TSC
      • Thanks for their contributions to date!
    • [2 mins] [Gerkey] Intro of new TSC members
      • ADLINK: Joe Speed
      • Canonical: Kyle Fazzari
    • [2 min] [Joe Speed] interested in Edge AI working group to enable “better user experience for HW accelerated ML”? Will draft proposal with other TSC members.
      • Interest from Tier IV, AWS, and Samsung, follow up afterward with Joe
    • [M. Hansen] Manipulation WG ownership and MoveIt 2
      • Plenty of interest; need someone to lead the group. No volunteers at this point; tabled until next TSC meeting.
      • Potential goal: get MoveIt 2 ready for ROS 2 F-Turtle
    • [A. Duncan] New Working Group “ROS 2 Tools”
      • We’ll start broad and adjust/refine as we go
      • Announcement on Discourse 9/20
      • First meeting planned for first week in October
    • [A. Duncan] Forthcoming proposal for ROS 2 Development/Release framework
      • Currently pre-circulating in small cycles. Planning an out of band design review for the TSC.
  • ROS 2 Eloquent Updates
    • Apex.AI updates for ROS 2 E release
    • Bosch Updates
    • Samsung Updates: Theme: Configurability
      • Navigation2
        • Created nav2_core plugin definitions for planner, recovery, controller. Still thinking about the best options for configurability in the behavior tree
        • Created nav2 planner server / recover server to act as the action server for N plugins
        • Factored out algorithms of the existing recoveries and planner to use new new2_core plugin definitions
        • Other: Began porting Slam Toolbox to ROS2. Will be available shortly.
        • Ported ROS2 Dashing for TEB local planner
      • Robot localization
        • Not yet released in Dashing, not really stable in ROS2 yet
        • Working from the ground up to get all its upstream dependencies ported to ROS2 and released.
    • ADLINK Updates: Theme: faster, smaller, more reliable ROS 2
    • eProsima
      • Fast RTPS 1.9.1 Release (end of this week)
        • Bug fixing release
        • Support for Windows, Linux, OSX, QNX, VxWorks, Android, iOS
        • DDS Security
        • X-Types
        • Static Memory Allocation
        • Non-Blocking Calls
        • Discovery Server 1.0
      • Fast RTPS Patch for WIFI (from Fast RTPS 1.8.1)
        • More reliable discovery on multicast lossy networks
      • Shared Mem - WIP - Open Source
      • Modern C++ DDS API - WIP - Open Source
      • Micro-ROS
        • Hired key engineer to work on hardware layer
    • Tier IV updates
      • Still resource-constrained
        • Hoping to have good luck at ROSCon JP next week…
      • Potentially will hire a company that specialises in hard real-time and deterministic embedded software to work on making the ROS 2 stack real-time-safe (especially memory-safe) and also look into adding executors/APIs for deterministic behaviour of systems)
      • Considering hiring a new engineer as a full-time contributor to ROS 2
    • Need to know who to talk to about getting Debian supported as Tier 2 in either Eloquent or F
      • Point relevant people at Dirk (for Eloquent might relay to the ROS Boss in charge of that ROS distro which is Michael Carroll…)
    • TRI Updates
      • Continuing to work with OSRC on the Eloquent items that we are addressing jointly
      • Continuing to test updates/fixes of ROS 2 on robots
    • ROBOTIS Updates
    • Canonical Updates
      • Writing design documents for node IDL and its ramifications (including security)
      • Completed ROS 2 port of teleop_tools
    • Microsoft Updates
    • LG Electronics Updates
  • Working group updates
    • [K. Knese] Embedded
    • [M. Hansen] Navigation
      • Meets every Thursday 3pm Pacific
        • Need to add to Google Groups / calendar
          • Forthcoming integrated calendar / group system (from Tully)
      • Integrated system test into upstream ROS build farm
        • Working through issues found in low % of test runs (1-5%)
        • Test now passing >95% rate
      • Verified Nav2 using cycloneDDS
      • Updated Nav2 to work with Cartographer
      • map_server was re-written (Rover Robotics contribution)
      • Adding plugin layer for local & global planners (nav2_core)
      • Dashing update - 0.2.4 release
      • Overall, 53 PRs were merged, 42 issues were closed in last 30 days
    • [L. Johnson] Real time
    • [G. Biggs] Safety
      • Still struggling to find a feasible direction
      • There is growing interest in creating a catalogue of safety patterns and how to do them in ROS, so we may try and push in that direction
      • There is also interest in creating some kind of safety architecture, but this is difficult. However, will not rule it out.
      • Next meeting is on September 26th. Meetings are registered in the ROS WGs calendar.
    • [K. Fazzari / A. Duncan] Security
  • Other:
    • Make meeting 90 minutes?
      • No objections. Brian to update calendar invite.
    • Current alternating schedule working OK?
      • No reasonable alternatives proposed
    • Reminder: put your contributions and updates for Eloquent in the github ticket.
    • Have an in-person TSC meeting at ROSCon: Brian to schedule
2 Likes