🌩 ROS World 2021: Call for Lightning Talk Videos

ROS World 2021 Lightning Talk Videos

:cloud_with_lightning: :cloud_with_lightning: :cloud_with_lightning: :earth_africa: :earth_americas: :earth_asia: :robot: :robot: :robot:

Hi All,

Lightning talks are one of the most anticipated parts of any conference and they are a great way to get your new package, robot, research, development process, or idea in front of a larger audience. We’re hoping to replicate the ROSCon lighting talks at ROS World again this year (and no, we’re not going to mix them in with commercials again :wink: ). Our approach for this year is to allow the community to submit short videos that we use during ROS World. We plan to take approximately the best two dozen or so videos and mash them up into a super cut that will play in between ROS World sessions.

We’re looking for all sorts of videos from the ROS community, and as such we’re open to videos related to any ROS topic you deem appropriate. Got a cool new robot? That’s worth a video. Have a great package that could use a few more maintainers? That’s worth a video. Want to ramble about your software pet-peeve for ninety seconds? Be our guest. Anything goes.

We’re pivoting really quickly between ROSCon and ROS World this year; as such lightning talks are going to come down to the wire. I want to give the following guidance about submitting your videos this year:

General Guidance

• The videos will be reviewed by a team of reviewers from the ROS community.
  • We do not collect reviewer feedback and we WILL NOT be able to give you feedback on why your video was not selected.
  • Due to time constraints we will not be able to notify you if your video is selected or not.
  • We will automatically reject your video if it does not meet our requirements (i.e. too long, wrong format, etc).
  • We may use your video content in future projects. By submitting your video you consent to this usage.
  • Due to the volume of videos we receive we are not able to replace or modify your video once it has been submitted.

Content Guidance

• Due to time constraints we are not able to answer your questions or workshop your video’s content. Please use your best judgement.
  • Keep it pithy. The shorter the videos the more videos we can feature. I can’t stress this enough.
  • Use your video to grab the audience’s attention and then tell them where they can find more information.
  • Keep it real. We want to see real ROS users solving real problems. We want to see working robots, exciting demos, and informative tirades as much as possible.
  • Have fun and make it fun. ROS World is a long day and audience fatigue is real.
  • Recording narration over a handful of slides is perfectly fine! Just keep it interesting, short, and informative.THERE WILL BE NO EXTENSIONS AND NO LATE SUBMISSIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
  • Last year my guidance to the reviewers was to show preference to, “real robots solving real problems.” My guidance to the reviewers this year is to show preference to “short, smart, & awesome” videos
  • Lightning talks are not a platform for free advertising. Please do not submit your existing marketing video.

:cloud_with_lightning: :cloud_with_lightning: :cloud_with_lightning: :cloud_with_lightning:

We’re still finalizing the details but the parameters for a video submission are as follows:

• Immediately related to ROS and the ROS community
  • Less than 120 seconds – keep it pithy
  • Format: MP4
  • Resolution: 1920 x 1080p (full HD) preferred, minimum 1280 x 720 p
  • File size: 500MB - 1GB. Files should not exceed 1GB.
  • Audio: Stereo is preferred, mono is acceptable
  • Please use a consistent file name of <contact_name>_.mp4
  • The videos don’t need to be overly produced but they should be short, clear, and to the point.
  • Our event coordinator has put together 20ROSWorld_VideoReelTips.pdf (153.9 KB)
    We’re still finalizing the process and due dates for video submissions but our preliminary due date for videos is in TWO WEEKS: 2021-09-30T06:59:00Z. THERE WILL BE NO EXTENSIONS AND NO LATE SUBMISSIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED.

Videos can be submitted through this Google form.

9 Likes

By the way, I need a few more people (~5) to help me review videos. We’ll need to turn things around really quick this year (~48-72 hours) towards the end of the month. If you are interested in volunteering please DM me.

I have enough reviewers now! Thanks everyone!

3 Likes

Bumping this to remind everyone there is just one day left.

Don’t fret about making your video polished. Just start recording and tell us what you’re working on and where we can find out more.

Today is your last day! It isn’t nearly as competitive as last year. There is a high probability your talk will get selected.

2 Likes

We’ll sneak something in last second. :upside_down_face:

@Katherine_Scott , anything above 120 seconds is auto rejected? I have some talk that I was thinking to submit but it is not really possible to squeeze my message to 120s

Sorry, it is a hard time limit of 120s. I have a hard time believing that you can’t summarize your work in two minutes and then point the audience to additional resources like a github repo or a blog post.

Submitted, fingers crossed :slight_smile:

Submitted as well, thanks!

I saw the need of of explaining some components of my method as otherwise they might not be so intuitive. But I see, the point is more like high level explanation and giving pointers/link so interested people can follow, I guess.
Did some “optimization” to fit 120s.
Thanks!

I have a busy day today, I am not going to get a chance to send these out to reviewers today.

I AM EXTENDING THE DEADLINE UNTIL 2021-10-01T19:00:00Z

I want to encourage people to throw in more short, off the cuff, videos.

The ideal video would be:

1. 10s – introduce yourself.
  2. 10s – Introduce your package / robot / thing
  3. 10s – Tell people where they can learn more (QR codes / short URLs work great).

Keep it pithy, informal, and fun! I really like to use Simple Screen Recorder with a webcam viewer in the corner. It shouldn’t take more than an hour to make a video. I also really want to encourage students to tell us about your research. Lighting talks are a great way to get your work in front of prospective employers.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.