ROSCon2022 Workshop: Hands-on with Mini Pupper, the miniature, legged, ROS robot

Hi Everyone,

I’d like to sync the Mini Pupper workshop status here.
Title: Hands-on with Mini Pupper, the miniature, legged, ROS robot
Speakers: Sachin Guruswamy(Luxonis), Daisuke Sato, Nisshan, Afreez Gan(Mini Pupper) updating…
Summary: Mini Pupper is the ROS, open-source robot dog platform that supports ROS SLAM, Navigation, and OpenCV AI features with Lidar, camera sensors at a low-cost price. It’ll make robotics easier for schools, homeschool families, enthusiasts, and beyond. In this workshop, you can not only play Mini Pupper but also know how we design it.
This is a hands-on workshop. Bring your laptop and let’s enjoy the ROS robot together. You will enjoy at least the below things(maybe update ),
(1) Hands-on Mini Pupper ROS simulation.
(2) Hands-on object following feature based on deep learning with a single camera.
(3) Hands-on OpenCV OAK-D-Lite 3D camera AI features on Mini Pupper.
(4) Hands-on using Scratch to play ROS Mini Pupper for Children.

The below pictures come from Amazon 2022 re: MARS workshop(JUNE 23, 2022 | LAS VEGAS, NV) for your reference, we’re trying our best to do it better this time. :grinning:

Requirement for the attendees:
– Please hand carry your laptop and adapter.
– It’s better to prepare your laptop software environment before the workshop.

Others:
–The workshop time is 9:00AM - 12:00AM, 1:00PM - 5:00PM.
–We will release all the workshop guides including source code before Oct. 5.
–We’ll prepare dozens of Mini Pupper for Hands-on, the detailed number will be fixed before Oct. 5.
–If you already have your Mini Pupper, you can use your own Mini Pupper to enjoy the workshop.
–Order or selling is prohibited during the workshop, but it is OK before and after the workshop.
–We will update the workshop info here in time.
–The useful links: ROSCon2022
Mini Pupper, DiscordFacebook, Twitter(English, Japanese) , LINE

Looking forward to enjoying ROS in the workshop.
If you have any questions, please feel free to let us know.

Best,
Mini Pupper Team

7 Likes

I’m sorry I forgot an important speaker, my friend, Masahito Sakaguchi :slight_smile:
Please confirm the updated info, thanks!

Speakers: Sachin Guruswamy(Luxonis), Daisuke Sato, Nisshan, Masahito Sakaguchi, Afreez Gan(Mini Pupper)
Key Points: This is a hands-on workshop. Please bring your laptop and let’s enjoy the ROS robot together. You will enjoy at least the below things(maybe update ),
(1) Hands-on Mini Pupper ROS simulation.
(2) Hands-on object following feature based on deep learning with a single camera.
(3) Hands-on OpenCV OAK-D-Lite 3D camera AI features on Mini Pupper.
(4) Hands-on Unity TCP End Point App.
(5) Hands-on using Scratch to play ROS Mini Pupper for Children.

2 Likes

Happy for the greater stage of mini pupper!
Are there any online stream or meeting for this workshop? I’m here in Shanghai, China, very interesting at this little robot, but I’m not convenient to travel to Kyoto. Is there any other way to participate in your presentation?

1 Like

Many thanks for your attention.
The workshop will follow all the ROSCon official rules, will double confirm whether there is some online know-how, and give final confirmation before the end of Sep.
Best,

1 Like

Please refer to the below ROS Lidar and OAK-D-Lite demos at first, we’re preparing more, thanks!

Lidar SLAM

Lidar Navigation

OpenCV object tracking using OAK-D-Lite camera module

2 Likes

Hello ROSCON 2022!

Here is my work in progress :slight_smile:

Unity x ROS-TCP-Endpoint, It is easy to use.
I will show this at Kyoto, Japan, 2022/10/19.

Twitter Link

3 Likes

OpenCV object tracking using OAK-D-Lite module based on Stanford Pupper robot.

3 Likes

Mini Pupper workshop’s layout style optimized our AWS re:MARS workshop, which is easier and more comfortable to talk with each other.

2 Likes

Hi,
I am attending this workshop at ROSCon.
I just wanted to ask if there are any pre-requisites, yet.

1 Like

Sorry for my delay, I’ll update this weekend, thanks!

Hi all,
We are preparing the guide and need a little bit more time, we will public the detailed info before next Wednesday(Oct. 5).
Many thanks for your great support!
Best,
mini pupper team

Hi all,

Please confirm our workshop agenda, if you have any questions or requirements, please let us know here or connect us by our Discord channel, thanks!

It’s better to prepare your notebook run Ubuntu 20.04 (ROS Noetic).
Please refer to the below links for your reference.
https://minipupperdocs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html

Looking forward to your any advice, thanks!

4 Likes

Hello Everyone,

Regarding the Unity 3D session, (11:15- , Use Unity 3D ROS Engine to control mini pupper)
This is a notice to all participants.

If you would like to run Unity and ROS demo, you need a PC and install the following softwares in each PC beforehand.

PC (Windows or Ubuntu) (I tried win10 and Ubuntu 20.04)

• Install and Register Unity 3D software (recommended via Unity Hub software)

Windows - (Start Your Creative Projects and Download the Unity Hub | Unity)
Ubuntu - (Install the Unity Hub | Unity Hub | 3.0)

But If you are unable to prepare your PC, Don’t worry.
I will show the demonstaration of Unity App.

Please refer to my repository (GitHub - devemin/Unity-ROS-MiniPupper-Tutorial: Unity x ROS1 x Mini Pupper Tutorial!)

I look forward to meeting you all.
Thanks!

Masahito Sakaguchi
(@devemin)

4 Likes

Hello,

If I understood correctly, as a pre-requisite we only need Ubuntu 20.04 running Noetic, Unity Hub with Unity’21 and your cloned repository right?

Just confirming because I am setting up a fresh Ubuntu environment in a laptop to bring along. Usually, I use a PC here.

Regards
Kartikeya

2 Likes

Hello @KartikeyaWalia ,

Thanks for your confirm.

Clone my repository and Open it with Unity

Please Open the Unity project, Then the required
packages will start to download automatically.

For example, ROS-TCP-Connector .

And If you want to check the installation, Please open the scene file in the unity.

Assets/Scenes/
MiniPupperCmdVelPose.unity
or
MiniPupperJointTrajectory.unity

Then please push the play button. (on the center, up side.)

If succeed, Play button (triangle) will be change to blue gray color.

But not succeed, The error string will appear.

So requirement is Ubuntu 20.04, Unity Hub, Unity 2021, clone my repository, and Please open the project file once.

(If windows, git is required additional.)

Feel free to ask me.
Thanks.

devemin

Hi everyone,

I’d like to introduce the object following sample with Jupyter Notebook.
All you need to try this sample is a laptop with a web browser and SSH client. I recommend using Google Chrome as a browser. Windows/Ubuntu/macOS are all OK.

This sample uses RoboStack/jupyter-ros introduced at ROSCon2019.

It takes time to build the environment, but in this tutorial, we use Docker to make it easy to experience. This tutorial will work with a Raspberry Pi, a webcam, and a ROS-compatible robot, so you may be able to use it in your projects.

I am so excited to see you all!

Daisuke Sato

2 Likes

Many thanks to Mini Pupper workshop speakers, Sato-san, Sakaguchi-san, Sachin, Matt, Nigel, Nathan, and all other friends who gave us so much support during the workshop.

By the way, if you like Mini Pupper 2, please follow the below link, thanks!
https://lnkd.in/gmAs5Yyc

Mini Pupper is playing everywhere on ROSCon2022!
Move, move, move!

ROSCon2022 is closed, but it’s a new starting point for us. We made many new friends and learned so much know-how within only 3 days. Thanks ROS, Thanks all friends! See you next year!

The new ROS2 Mini Puppers are also launched on Kickstarter and we’ll plan many more global workshops in 2023. Let’s play together.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/336477435/mini-pupper-2-open-source-ros2-robot-kit-for-dreamers

Best,
Mini Pupper Team

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.