ROS News for the Week of August 5th, 2024

ROS News for the Week of August 5th, 2024

water
Regular SLAM is hard enough, but imagine doing SLAM without odometry or consistent features to track! This paper, just released by University of Michigan, demonstrates a ROS based SLAM system for use in difficult underwater environments. The code will be published shortly and I am really excited to learn more.

Another interesting research robot I came across this week is this ROS-based agriculture robot that can take in-vivo nitrogen measurements from live corn plants. The robot is called “CornBot” is a collaboration between Harvard, CMU, and unsurprisingly Iowa State University.

RobotCAD v.2.0.0, aka FreeCAD OVERCROSS, was released this week. RobotCAD is your one-stop shop for ROS and Gazebo 3D models! The package can generate URDF and SDF files from a variety of CAD formats as well as a host of other features.

If you use ROS on Windows please take this survey before the end of next week! We’re considering changing how ROS supports Windows for Windows 11 and we would to get your input!

Events

News

ROS

Got a Minute? :mantelpiece_clock:

We’ve got 100 issues on the ROS 2 Documentation repo that could use some attention! Why not send us a documentation pull request?

1 Like

Not exactly. They went public back in 2021 via a SPAC. So this is not an initial public offering, just an (underwritten) public offering, i.e., a negotiated deal to sell more stocks. I think it’s like raising another round of funding from institutional investors, but in the stock market.

Fixed that for you. :wink:

I was in a bit of a rush today as I didn’t get started until after lunch.