ROS News for the Week of March 4th, 2024

ROS News for the Week of March 4th, 2024

I’ve been working with the ROS Industrial team, and the Port of San Antonio, to put together a ROS Meetup in San Antonio / Austin in conjunction with the annual ROS Industrial Consortium Meeting. If you are attending the ROS-I meeting make sure you sign up!

Gazebo Classic goes end of life in 2025! To help the community move over to modern Gazebo we’re holding open Gazebo office hours next Tuesday, March 12th, at 9am PST. If you have questions about the migration process please come by!

e1d28e85278dd4e221030828367839e4950b8cf9_2_671x500
We often get questions about the “best” robot components for a particular application. I really hate answering these questions; my inner engineer just screams, “IT DEPENDS!” Unfortunately, w really don’t have a lot of apples-to-apples data to compare different hardware vendors.

Thankfully @iliao is putting in a ton of work to review ten different low cost LIDAR sensors. Check it out here.

teaser3
This week we got a sneak peek at some of the cool CVPR 2024 papers. Check out, “Gaussian Splatting SLAM”, by Hidenobu Matsuki, Riku Murai, Paul H.J. Kelly, Andrew J. Davison, complete with source code.

1aa39368041ea4a73d78470ab0d7441453258cdf_2_353x500
We got our new ROSCon France graphic this week! ROSCon France is currently accepting papers! Please consider applying if you speak French!

Events

News

ROS

ROS Questions

Please make ROS a better project for the next person! Take a moment to answer a question on Robotics Stack Exchange! Not your thing? Contribute to the ROS 2 Docs!

3 Likes

I got the next ROS By-The-Bay all planned.. We’re going to be joined by our colleagues at Dusty Robotics and Open Robotics CEO @Vanessa_Yamzon_Orsi will be doing a community Q&A session. You won’t want to miss this one. :wink:

1 Like

I think the Q&A session with @Vanessa_Yamzon_Orsi is very relevant also to the broader community, that cannot attend ROS By-The-Bay.

Will there be a recording? Or perhaps some form of transcript posted on discourse?
Is there a way to interact, e.g. can we send in questions?

1 Like

This meeting, no, probably not, partially because we’re having to move rooms last minute.

However, we do plan to do a similar meeting online. That announcement should drop next week.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.