ROS Resources: Documentation | Support | Discussion Forum | Service Status | Q&A answers.ros.org

ROS2 Planning System 1st Anniversary

Dear ROS Developers,

ROS2 Planning System (PlanSys2 in short) celebrates these days its first anniversary :partying_face: :birthday: :champagne:

It has been one year of intense development to which some contributors have joined this project. Along this year we have included many new improvements:

• A new Web Page with videos, tutorials, and design documents.
  • New examples.
  • New solvers, like Temporal Fast Downward, apart of the default POPF, and the possibility of using your own PDDL planner as a plugin.
  • Parallel execution of plans.
  • Real multirobot execution.
  • New Repo CI with Github actions and codecov, and more tests.
  • Possibility of implementing actions as Behavior Trees.

It works in Eloquent (source and bin packages) and Foxy (source and coming packages in next Foxy sync, I hope)

Happy Planning!!!

6 Likes

Am I the only one who could use a better description of what this is useful for? Is it primarily for navigation or can you use it for task planning as well?

I mean, text like this doesn’t help me much if I don’t know what the acronyms mean:

This package contains a plan solver that uses popf for solving PDDL plans.

Another question – is the planner capable of learning/adapting over time?

I ask because MoveIt is starting to look for functionality like this. (@felixvd)

Hi @AndyZe

You are probably right. I’ve been swamped coding and writing documentation, and there may be some descriptions that are not very accurate. Sorry for that :sweat:. Perhaps it is interesting that some native English speaker (unfortunately, I am not) wants to contribute to PlanSys2 by reviewing the documentation, especially these descriptions :wink:

For answering you, POPF is a popular PDDL plan solver, but not everyone indeed has to know about it, and I should provide more context. The first video on the web page also tries to present the problem we want to solve with PlanSys2.

In classical planning, the use of learning is not straightforward. It would be exciting to address it. It does not seem that there are many scientific works in this line, but I find it an exciting topic. May I know what you have in mind? :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for your comments. They are very valuable.
Francisco

1 Like

Is it primarily for navigation or can you use it for task planning as well?

AFAICT, it does task planning.

The explainer video shows describing a problem domain (eg. current world state, goal world state and action with their their effects on the world) and can generate a eg. behavior tree that makes the robot achieve the goal world state.

PDDL is a Planning Domain Definition Language. I’m not familiar with what POPF is exactly.

1 Like