⚜️ ROSCon 2023 Videos and Slides Now Available!

ROSCon 2023 Videos and Slides Now Available

Hi Everyone,

I am happy to announce that the videos and slides from ROSCon 2023 are now available online. You can find everything on the ROSCon website and in the OSRF Vimeo Showcase of the event. We’ve also created a short link for the videos that should make the videos easier to share: bit.ly/ROSCon23Vids. To aid discoverability on ROS Discourse I’ve pasted links to all of the talks at the bottom of the post that you can also use.

Along with the videos and slides we’ve put together a quick wrap up post on openrobotics.org. If you want to see some of our professional photos from the event please take a look.

If you missed ROSCon this year and would like a chance to meet up with your colleagues we still have ROSCon Germany next week and ROSCon India coming up in about a month. As for ROSCon 2024, Odense, Denmark is already getting ready for our visit next year.

Finally, I want to thank everyone who made ROSCon 2023 possible! We couldn’t put together such a fantastic event without the help of our speakers, sponsors, volunteers, reviewers, and workshop organizers. You all deserve a round of applause. :clap: :clap:

ROSCon 2023 Talks

20 Likes

The volume is super low… Could it be reprocessed and made louder? I tried both phone (app) and notebook (browser).

Are you referring to particular video? I spot checked some of them and I could hear everything just fine at a very low volume setting.

Are you sure it isn’t your Linux audio drivers? :grin:

I checked the intro talk and bonxai. Both have the same level. As I said, I tested on two platforms - Android+BT headset and Ubuntu/Firefox on notebook speakers. In both cases I can barely hear the talk. Listening in public transport is almost impossible with volume up to the ceiling… And yes, other audio works well on these platforms.

Not sure it’s related, but I have similar problems with Sense Think Act on Google podcasts app. Maybe some US-EU discrepancy? :smiley:

Hrrrm :face_with_spiral_eyes:. I did a spot check on a few platforms with and without headphones. While the videos do seem a bit quieter than your average YouTube video, I wouldn’t characterize them as unlistenable.

Listening in public transport is almost impossible with volume up to the ceiling

Perhaps this is the problem? I know I have to crank the volume up when I am listening to podcasts on the train and bus. Our inferior Bay Area trains are known to be pretty loud.

In any case, I’ll relay the message to the video production team.

1 Like

The link of “The Lightning Talks Day 2” is wrong. :wink:

Thanks. I tried to make some hard data to support my issue. But I’m no audio guy, so it’s probably very amateurish.

Comparison was done with a random video I normally watch and which I consider proper volume (Internet broadcast of Czech public TV).

Kdenlive (top is Roscon, bottom is random video; unfortunately, absolute scale is not available, nor are axis descriptions):

Just eyeing at it, it seems the bars at Roscon are lower.

ffmpeg -i $file -af volumedetect -vn -sn -dn -f null /dev/null returns mean_volume -26.4 dB for random video and -32.7 dB for Roscon. This would mean about a 5 dB difference.

Applying normalization filter in KDEnlive, it outputs this information when analysis is done. I have no idea what it means, but it also seems to be dB of something.

L: -23.606989\tR: 4.411814\tP 0.612335 for random video

L: -28.584723\tR: 12.894199\tP 1.013325 for Roscon

So, if these values are dB, there is again a 5 dB difference in the L item. But I really have no idea :slight_smile:

Listening in public transport is almost impossible with volume up to the ceiling

Perhaps this is the problem? I know I have to crank the volume up when I am listening to podcasts on the train and bus…

But I can normally listen to many other content in the same trams and buses :slight_smile: Even without maxxing out the volume.

I just checked the Boxai talk on my end and the volume seems normal to me. It could be some Vimeo trickery, for quite some time it was showing some ROSCon videos as not age appropriate and would not let me watch them. Changing sound levels by region though sounds like a quite odd thing to do though.

It might also be codec-related or sampling frequency-related. But the player offers no configuration options for sound at all.

yt-dlp shows there are many available audio formats, actually:

ID                                                   EXT RESOLUTION FPS │   FILESIZE   TBR PROTO │ VCODEC        VBR ACODEC      ABR ASR MORE INFO
─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
hls-akfire_interconnect_quic_sep-audio-high-Original mp4 audio only     │                  m3u8  │ audio only        unknown             Original
hls-fastly_skyfire_sep-audio-high-Original           mp4 audio only     │                  m3u8  │ audio only        unknown             Original
hls-google_mediacdn_sep-audio-high-Original          mp4 audio only     │                  m3u8  │ audio only        unknown             Original
dash-akfire_interconnect_quic_sep-audio-25c0bcb4     m4a audio only     │ ~ 66.66MiB  196k dash  │ audio only        mp4a.40.2  196k 48k DASH audio, m4a_dash
dash-fastly_skyfire_sep-audio-25c0bcb4               m4a audio only     │ ~ 66.66MiB  196k dash  │ audio only        mp4a.40.2  196k 48k DASH audio, m4a_dash
dash-google_mediacdn_sep-audio-25c0bcb4              m4a audio only     │ ~ 66.66MiB  196k dash  │ audio only        mp4a.40.2  196k 48k DASH audio, m4a_dash
dash-akfire_interconnect_quic_sep-audio-0892f1d2     m4a audio only     │ ~ 23.47MiB   69k dash  │ audio only        opus        69k 48k DASH audio, m4a_dash
dash-fastly_skyfire_sep-audio-0892f1d2               m4a audio only     │ ~ 23.47MiB   69k dash  │ audio only        opus        69k 48k DASH audio, m4a_dash
dash-google_mediacdn_sep-audio-0892f1d2              m4a audio only     │ ~ 23.47MiB   69k dash  │ audio only        opus        69k 48k DASH audio, m4a_dash
dash-akfire_interconnect_quic_sep-audio-050a6651     m4a audio only     │ ~ 34.69MiB  102k dash  │ audio only        opus       102k 48k DASH audio, m4a_dash
dash-fastly_skyfire_sep-audio-050a6651               m4a audio only     │ ~ 34.69MiB  102k dash  │ audio only        opus       102k 48k DASH audio, m4a_dash
dash-google_mediacdn_sep-audio-050a6651              m4a audio only     │ ~ 34.69MiB  102k dash  │ audio only        opus       102k 48k DASH audio, m4a_dash

I tried downloading some of the formats and all of them seem to have the same volume level according to ffmpeg.

And according to ffmpeg, the one of the audio formats is pcm_s16le, 48000 Hz, stereo, s16, 1536 kb/s (default). I downloaded another unrelated Vimeo video with this same audio format and volume is okay (my ears hurt when listening with max volume; Roscon videos are far from that).

I must say I’m a bit lost here. I suggest that if you want to debug this further, let’s continue in PMs. If the production team doesn’t have a problem uploading louder videos, that would be the ideal solution for me :slight_smile:

Sorry, looks like a bug in my script that matches video names to talk names. I went and manually fixed it.

1 Like

I’m not sure if it’s just me, for some reason I cannot access/download the slides of the talks.

It says:

Not Found The requested URL /talks/Optimizing_MoveIt_-_Costs_Constraints_and_Betterments.pdf was not found on this server.

Edit: It seems to be fixed now.

2 Likes

@Katherine_Scott

the previous problem happens again? I can see the following error.

https://roscon.ros.org/talks/Building_the_iRobotr_Creater_3_Robot_Challenges_and_Solutions_for_ROS_2_Consumer_Robotics.pdf

Try this link

We just archived the page and I think the URLs changed. I’ll need to update the links. It may take me a couple of hours. Sorry about that.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.