Nav2 example with (Ignition) Gazebo Fortress

Hello everyone,

We wanted to share a ROS 2 project that we recently created because we had trouble finding an example where Nav2 works with the latest LTS (Ignition) Gazebo. You can find the source here: GitHub - art-e-fact/navigation2_ignition_gazebo_example: Minimal example for using Navigation 2 with (Ignition) Gazebo.

The project contains the sam-bot model (migrated from the official Nav2 tutorials), launch files to bring up the navigation stack, some nodes for demoing simple navigation tasks, and tests for these nodes.

We hope this project will be helpful to anyone who is trying to use Navigation2 with (Ignition) Gazebo. If you have any feedback or suggestions, please feel free to open an issue on the GitHub repository.

11 Likes

Looks great! I’ll definitely take a look at this as later this year we’re looking to migrate from Gazebo Classic (pending some issues that need resolution to have things work well in binary format for release)

3 Likes

May I ask what plan may be formulated to complete a migration of the current nav2_bringup tb3 simulation launch that uses Classic Gazebo (Ver 11) to gazebosim, presumably recognizing that the next gazebosim Harmonic release is planned for Sep/23?

Thanks @azazdeaz for this great example. It helped me understanding the Nav2 stack much better.

I have created a fork and updated it to my needs. Here is a link to the fork: GitHub - rosblox/nav2_outdoor_example: Minimal example for using Navigation 2 with GNSS/IMU Localization in (Ignition) Gazebo

• The fork runs on ROS2 Humble/Gazebo Fortress (Install it following this Gazebo)
  • The robot localizes itself by fusing measurements from IMU and GNSS with robot_localization
  • The Nav2 map server serves static costmaps
1 Like