New Online Course: ROS2 For Beginners - Learn From Scratch

Hi Everyone,

I just released a new course to learn ROS2 from scratch, named ROS2 For Beginners.

The goal of the course is to teach you the foundation you need to start developing ROS2 projects. I focus on the practical side of ROS2, and every video is “step by step”.

Target version: ROS2 Foxy, Ubuntu 20.04.

Here are the different modules:

• Introduction, why ROS2
  • Install ROS2 Foxy on Ubuntu 20.04
  • Discover ROS2 tools
  • Nodes
  • Topics
  • Services
  • Custom Interfaces (Msg and Srv)
  • Parameters
  • Launch Files

For each module containing a ROS2 concept, I first explain the “why”, then you get a “how to” video for both Python and C++, and finally an activity to practice more.

Also, at the end of the course I’ve added a bonus module: a Turtlesim project, where you have to create a “catch them all” game. This project makes you work on all the concepts.

One important note: I chose to teach ROS2 from scratch, with absolutely no required prior knowledge in ROS1. This way I hope to help those who are totally new to ROS and allow them to learn ROS2 from the beginning, without having to learn ROS1 first.

You can find the course here on Udemy.

Let me know if you have any questions/remarks about the course!

5 Likes

As a follow up to this post (not sure if it would be better to create a new post or just reply here):

I just released another course on ROS2, named Learn ROS2 as a ROS1 Developer and Migrate Your ROS Projects.

This time, the course is not targeted to complete ROS beginners. This is a course for ROS1 developers who want to quickly get up to speed with ROS2. But it’s not too advanced either, I stick to the ROS core functionalities.

The course has 2 main parts:

• First, you learn the differences between ROS1 and ROS2, and you write a small ROS2 application, starting from a ROS1 code.
  • Then, you learn how to use the ros1_bridge package, to work with ROS1 and ROS2 at the same time. I will give you one migration technique, and you’ll finish with a project: migrate a ROS1 application to ROS2, based on Turtlesim.

Here’s the link for the course on Udemy. You can read the complete description to know more about it.

As a conclusion, I wanted to create basic ROS2 learning resources for everyone: those who already know ROS1 (this new course), and those who are complete beginners (the course described in the post above).

I hope you’ll find these courses useful for your ROS2 learning journey!

1 Like

I want to use your course as part of a course at a university. What is a good way to give students access to the course? I am not sure if the Udemy terms and conditions allow us to buy the course for all the students and then “gift” it to them.

Thanks for your interest!
For your need I think that indeed Udemy is maybe not the best solution. Can you reach out to me (on Linkedin, or via the contact form on my website: roboticsbackend dot com) ? I’d love to hear more about your needs and work with you for a potential solution.

I am having problems moving the turtle with keyboard controls on the ROS2 for Beginners course on O’Reilly. Where can I access help?

Edit: I had to make the teleop terminal the active one so that is why you resized the windows but I’m still not getting autocomplete although added lines to bashrc and sourced it.

And there were some other differences like not being able to see what options I have for commands so entering commands exactly as they are in the video work but I guess that is what ROS answers is for right?

1 Like

We also don’t have access to these materials it seems, there are solution videos at the end but nice to have something besides video like pdf’s, etc that I can read on the go sometimes.

Please tell O’Reilly to make these accessible.