Hadabot: adapting mobile robotics MOOC exercises to use ROS 2

Hi All,

First off - for those unfamiliar with my Hadabot effort - Hadabot is a low-cost robot kit for software engineers, students, hobbyists, and makers to learn ROS 2 and robotics.

Since 2020, I have had the pleasure of working with Dr Carlotta Berry, professor of computer engineering at Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology, and @Katherine_Scott, the super-glue that keeps the ROS community together, to teach various workshops and seminars on robotics using ROS 2 and Hadabot.

I have recently started to adapt lab exercises from Dr Berry’s MOOC on Mobile Robotics to using ROS 2, programmed on a Hadabot robot. This allows students to learn modern robotics concepts using cutting edge programming tools and middleware frameworks (ie ROS!) while using their own real physical robot.

More on this effort to adapt MOOCs to use ROS 2 and Hadabot in my recent Hadabot blog post.

Love to hear the community’s thoughts on what other MOOCs can be “Hadabot-ified” (ie converted to use ROS).

Additionally, if you are a professor, or know of one interested in adding ROS to your curriculum, please reach out. I am more than happy to do the heavy lifting of content / lesson creation!!

Thanks and happy building / learning!
Jack “the Hadabot Maker”

2 Likes