Hadabot: ROS 2 Nav2 on AWS RoboMaker controlling our ESP32 robot

Hi All,

First off - for those unfamiliar with my Hadabot effort - Hadabot is a low-cost robot kit for software engineers, students, hobbyists, and makers to learn ROS 2 and robotics.

The Hadabot ROS 2 Nav2 software stack is designed to run from a number of Docker containers on a local laptop/computer.

With guidance from @Cam_Buscaron and @mkhansen, we got the same stack running off of AWS RoboMaker with ROS 2 Foxy.

The details will be presented at ROS World 2021 (via the “ESP32 microcontroller robot with Navigation 2 ROS 2 running in the Cloud” talk), as well as published in a detailed blog post in the upcoming weeks.

But in the meantime, we published a “quickie” blog post welcoming readers to follow the README to run the AWS RoboMaker ROS 2 Nav2 demo for your own ESP32 Hadabot robot kit, preview our source code, and more importantly… ooo-n-ahh over the video demonstration.

As usual, we always welcome you to learn / stay in touch with Hadabot:

1. Purchase a Hadabot kit .
  2. Sign up to our email list to stay in touch via the Stay in Touch button.

I’m also looking to work with CS / robotics professors to put together a more structured robotics syllabus using the Hadabot kit. If you are a professor and/or know of one who’s interested in a low-cost kit for their classroom, would love to connect!

As usual, love to hear feedback, suggestions, encouragements (discouragements).

Thanks and happy building!
Jack “the Hadabot Maker”

6 Likes

Have you thought about using the ESP32 in Hadabot with micro-ROS?

Hi @mamerlan - good question. Yes - I have thought about micro-ROS. There are a couple of reasons why I ended up using the ros2-web bridge as the “agent” system.

I will talk about why / why-not micro-ROS in my ROS World talk.

But I’m always open to re-evaluating.

Is there a reason you ask? Maybe I can address more directly. Feel free to reach out via email as well - jack AT hadabot.com

Thanks Jack

1 Like

Looking forward to your ROS World talk :slight_smile:

1 Like